The OLD THATCH TEASHOP is over 300 years old and dates back to the 1600's.
It is believed that it was originally built as two, maybe three, Fisherman's Cottages.
All the Thatched Cottages in the Old Village of Shanklin were interlinked by tunnels and legend has it that the Fishermen 'Smugglers' would dodge through the tunnels so as not to get caught as, of course, smuggling, although the main source of income on the Island in those days, was against the law!
By the mid 1800's The Old Thatch became Shanklin's first Post Office, Library, Bookshop, House Agent and Agent for Anchor Life Insurance. At that time Shanklin had a population of less than 300.
In the 1940's The Old Thatch went through another major change when it was converted into a Teashop which it has continued up to the present day. We still make all our Homemade Scones, Traditional Fare & Desserts using the original Aga Ovens